Five Rising Sophomores Receive Viking Achievement Award
Five Elizabeth City State University freshmen have been awarded the Viking Achievement Award by the Department of University Studies for the 2019-2020 academic year.
According to ECSU academic advisor, Maenecia Cole, recipients of the award have earned a GPA of at least 3.25 or higher during the fall semester at ECSU and have successfully completed a minimum of 15 credit hours. The recipients must also have participated in community service through service learning, active participation in a recognized ECSU student or academic organization and demonstrated leadership ability and personal growth.
The following are the recipients of the 2019-2020 ECSU Freshman Viking Achievement Award with a combined grade point average of 3.802. All students are rising sophomores:
- Kayla Borgolini has earned a 3.91 GPA. She is a social work major and a member of the History Scholars Club. She has volunteered in the guidance counselor office at River Road Middle School in Elizabeth City.
- Tiyana Boyce earned a 4.0 GPA. She is a business administration major, an ECSU Student Leader, a member of Sigma Alpha Pi: National Society of Leadership and Success, a Vike Nu Model, and a member of the ECSU Honors Program. She has volunteered as a tutor at the Davis Housing Group, assisted with distributing coats to children and adults, and volunteered at the Vikings Care Food Pantry.
- Tasheca Carey has earned a 3.90 GPA. She is a pharmaceutical science major, a CASER-ECSU (Comprehensive Academic Scaffolding to Enhance Retention of minority STEM students at ECSU) student, and ECSU Sister2Sister participant. She is also a former Viking Voyager leader and a member of the Criminal Justice Club. Ms. Carey has volunteered at the Food Bank of the Albemarle and the Boys and Girls Club of the Albemarle.
- Tijaunna Chavis has earned a 3.26 GPA. She is a social work major. Ms. Chavis is a member of the ECSU Campus Activity Board (CAB), a Viking Voyage leader, and a member of the True Colors club. She has volunteered at the Vikings Care Food Pantry, the campus community garden and the Practical Prevention Center.
- Alexus Elliott earned a 4.0 GPA. She is a biology major with a concentration in pre-medicine/pre-dentistry. She is a member of the ECSU volleyball team, ECSU Honors Program, CASER-ECSU, and TRIO Student Support Services. She has volunteered with the ECSU volleyball team at various middle schools, assisted with ECSU student move-in day and has volunteered at the ECSU Viking Lanes.
Leave a Reply