Elizabeth City State University Board of Trustees member Harold Barnes will chair the recently formed chancellor search committee. Barnes is an alumnus of ECSU.
Elizabeth City State University has announced the appointment of an 18-member chancellor search committee that will recommend three candidates to the full ECSU Board of Trustees.
The search committee includes representatives of the ECSU Board of Trustees, faculty, staff, administration, a student member, as well as alumni, community and business leaders. The committee includes one non-voting member from the University of North Carolina Board of Governors – Steve Long, who serves as the board’s liaison to ECSU.
“We welcome the beginning of this process and look forward to the committee’s recommendations later this year,” said UNC System President Margaret Spellings. “The UNC System Office is very confident that this group of highly-esteemed appointees will help identify the right chancellor to lead Elizabeth City State University into the future.”
Dr. Karrie Dixon is currently Elizabeth City State University’s Interim Chancellor, having served in that capacity since April 9. Dr. Dixon, has co-chaired ECSU’s Working Group Phase 2: A New Direction, since October 2017, and was appointed Interim Chancellor by President Spellings. The appointment was made after Chancellor Thomas E.H. Conway, Jr., announced his retirement last January.
The search committee will recommend finalists to the full ECSU Board of Trustees. The board must then recommend three finalists to President Spellings, who will recommend one candidate to the UNC Board of Governors for approval. The process is expected to be completed by the end of the calendar year.
“The committee understands its charge and ensures the public that its work will be thorough and well-intended, all for the benefit of the future of this great institution,” said Kim Brown of the ECSU Board of Trustees. “We thank each of those who were involved in the selection process.”
The Elizabeth City State University Chancellor Search Committee consists of:
- Mr. Harold Barnes, J.D., Board of Trustees, Search Committee Chair
- Dr. Scott Bradshaw, Chair, ECSU Faculty Senate
- Ms. Joyce Brown, Mayor, Williamston, N.C
- Mr. Kim Brown, Board of Trustees
- Mr. Charles Creighton, President/CEO Colony Tire
- Mr. Andy Culpepper, Board of Trustees
- Dr. Jenette Evans, President, ECSU Foundation
- Ms. Cynthia Horne, ECSU Staff and Staff Senate Chair
- Mr. Steve Long, Board of Governors Liaison
- Ms. Lenora Mackey, President, River City Community Development Corporation
- Ms. Kathryn Underwood-Melton, ECSU Staff
- Mr. Richard Olson, City Manager, City of Elizabeth City
- Mr. Chorn Poyner, ECSU SGA President
- Mr. Abdul Rasheed, President, National Alumni Association
- Ms. Jan K. Robinson, Board of Trustees
- Ms. Tanya Turner, Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instructions, Chowan County Public Schools
- Dr. Deran Whitney, Superintendent, Suffolk, Va. Public Schools
- Mr. Kennis Wilkins, Board of Trustees