ECSU COA and Mid-Atlantic announce Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Celebration
January 09 2012
The Office of Student Life at Elizabeth City State University Mid-Atlantic Christian University and The College of the Albemarle announce the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Celebration. The day will include the annual commemorative march through the City of Elizabeth City and service at area of volunteer sites. A program will follow the march in the auditorium of Sheep Harney Elementary School 200 W. Elizabeth Street with Rev. Curtis Gatewood an associate minister at Penn Avenue Missionary Baptist Church (Oxford N.C.) who also serves as a youth speaker/motivator as the speaker. The City of Elizabeth City Police and University Police will collaborate for security during the march.
The route for the march follows:
- Gather outside the G. R. Little Library at 10 a.m. on January 16 for the prayer circle.
- Route for the march through the City of Elizabeth City: Southern Avenue to Water Street left on Main Street right on Road Street ending at the intersection of Road and Elizabeth Street where the program will be held in the auditorium of Sheep Harney Elementary School.
Area residents are encouraged to volunteer at the following local sites on January 16 2012 in order to make this a M.L. King Day of community service. Please call in advance to reserve your assignment with each agency.
- Girls Inc. 304 South Road Street Contact Denise Rodgers or Alea Bird 335-7346
- SPCA of NE North Carolina 100 Wilson Street Contact Mr. John Graves 338-5222
- AMEN Ministries 320 South Hughes Bld. Contact Mr. or Mrs. Watts: 338-2515
- Hopeline Clothes 923 Halstead Blvd. contact Carol Patterson : 338-5338
- Salvation Army Thrift Store 600 N Hughes Blvd. Contact Cathy Drenning: 338-8741
- Carolina House 401 Hastings Lane 333-1171
- Elizabeth City Church of Christ 1923 North Road St. 335-4660
- ECSU – Cafe Express volunteers or M.L. King march volunteers call Mr. Darrien Jerman 335-3511
For more information on this public event contact Mr. Darrien Jerman 252-335-3511.